Friday, July 23, 2021

How I Spent My Vacation, Part 1

 Those of you who wish to see the under-the-bridge version of the following report are referred to the last three editions of this fine Blog. The Reader's Digest version follows.


Long story short: After nearly two years of staying put, Mom and I decided to take a brief work-week vacation in beautiful Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania, about an hour away from (A) Scranton, The Electric City, practically the Brooklyn of Northeast PA thanks to the popularity of the American version of THE OFFICE, (B) Moosic, the home of world-famous Montage Mountain and PNC Field, the defacto branch office of Yankee Stadium and stomping grounds of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Rail Riders, the Bronx Bombers' farm team, and (C) Wilkes-Barre, where Mom was born and we "visited" Gramps and Grams  on  Tuesday (We came in on Monday)at the Temple B'nai Brith Cemetary as well as Mom's one-time boss, David Baltimore who owned NBC affiliate WBRE-TV (now part of a group which includes WGN 9 in Chicago and PIX 11 here in New York) and whose name graces a turnpike where cable operator RCN is headquartered. (Ironic, huh?) After a long search and a nice lunch (which we found after said search), we returned to the hotel and I headed off to (B) where the Rail Riders kicked the collective posterior of the Washington Nationals-affiliated Rochester Red Wings. I could have gone to (A), and I plan to one day after Amtrak resumes non-stop passenger service, but I didn't get in the decent exercise I should have, and I had some serious packing to do. I took care of all that on Wednesday, and yesterday, (Thursday, to be exact.) we got a driver and we rode back to Manhattan. Mom got a sandwich, and I got a chewy granola bar. Hey, gotta watch the old physique!


Even we stumbled out of the gate, we crossed the finish line like a true thoroughbred. Here's hoping my trip to Ohio (the subject of Part 2) will be just as successful! (Find out when I come home in September!)


Down and gone! (I've met a lot of truckers during my many road trips!)

Steve





No comments:

Post a Comment