Tuesday, April 1, 2014

2.15 Salaam, Algeria!

Hello, Algeria, and the rest of the world, and welcome to the next one hundred Steve's Blogs. So much to talk about and so little time to do it, so let's get to it, shall we?

March 17 may have been St. Patrick's Day, but in New York City, March 27 was "Patty's Day," as in Patty Steele, a radio news reporter who has worked at WOR 710, Z100, 95.5 PLJ, and WCBS 880, and returned to Scott Shannon's New York radio family as the resident expert on all news hard and soft. Savannah Guthrie, watch out! This lady has more talent in her little finger than you have in your entire body! (MAYBE I'm just being prejudiced.)


As longtime readers of this blog may gather, I am a man of many interests, among them professional wrestling, Lincoln Center, and Torah study. Another one of my interests is a certain Marvin Lee Aday, alias
Meat Loaf, alias Mr. Loaf. The aforesaid Mr. Loaf once observed (with help from a certain Jim Steinman) that "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad." This applies to film maker Darren Aronofsky and his recent motion picture body of work. I ooed and ahhed at "The Wrestler" (which he produced with the cooperation of the Ring of Honor promotion), and I watched "Black Swan" with interest and sprang to my feet applauding and yelling "Bravo!" as the end credits rolled, but when he tackled the Torah, particularly the early chapters of the Book of Genesis pertaining to a certain Mr. NOAH, that's when I lost all interest. Despite a tolerable performance from Russell Crowe as the titular character, this poor attempt at catering to fans of TITANIC, STAR WARS, and THE HOBBIT experiences the same sad fate as those two unicorns (from the classic Irish Rovers song) who were floated away and never seen again. The harebrained plot concerns a group of "robots" called the Watchers, supposedly sent by "the Creator" to make sure Noah builds that ark. (I preferred Danny Kaye in the musical TWO BY TWO and Bill Cosby's monologue from his first album.) This
Noah-count movie is all washed up. KICK IT!

The producer of the New York Comic-Con is about to unleash the first ever Book Con upon an unsuspecting planet. (FYI, the website for tickets and late breaking news is http://www.thebookcon.com .)
If it involves any of the publishers who've had the poor taste to reject my books, I'll be VERY happy if it's the last! (At least the guest stars for the inaugural Book Con are Amy Poehler from "Parks and Rec", Martin Short from "The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley", and Smiling Stan Lee, all people I admire! I just wonder if they know what they're getting themselves into!)

By the way, I apologize for the lack of April Fool's jokes. Actually, I don't. APRIL FOOL!

Good luck to the Yankees as they pursue their 27th World Championship and the Mets as they try to win 90 games. (And if you believe that, I have this bridge in Flatbush I would like to sell you. CHEAP!)

Until next time, I'd like to paraphrase a certain Mr. Elvis Costello and ask, "What's so April Foolish 'bout peace,love and understanding?"

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment