Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Chicago,Chicago,That Stanley Cup Town!

WOW! After what has to be the most serious post in the history of this blog, it sure feels good to go back to talking sports!

Just as the Bruins proved themselves to be the better team against my beloved Rangers, so  did the Chicago Blackhawks prove themselves to be a better goal-scoring machine last night at the TD Garden in Boston, as they won the Stanley Cup! (C'mon, Bruins, SEVENTEEN FRICKIN' SECONDS?!?!? WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?!?)

I have had the pleasure to visit the Windy City three times (the first time was a layover from Albuquerque), and, friends, Chi-Town is one place is where you never run out of things to do unless you want to, and why would you want to do a silly thing like THAT?!? I attended the 1989 Chicago National Hockey League Booster Club Convention, and I had the pleasure to meet the Blackhawks Booster Club. They took us to dinner theatre where we saw the British musical "Matador," the legendary Second City comedy troupe, (where I saw a young Chris Farley)the friendly confines of Wrigley Field, home of the Chicago Cubs, the South Side home of the rival White Sox  now referred to as US Cellular Field, and, of course, the Madhouse
on Madison, the United Center, the home of the Blackhawks, and the team that put Michael Jordan on the map, the Chicago Bulls.

On my own time, I saw Oprah at her very best, (The topic  of the show I saw is  inappropriate for a family blog.) did some shopping on the Magnificent Mile, and had lunch at one of two unique McDonald's franchises, (Mickey D's is headquarted in nearby Oak Brook.) this one themed around 1950's pop culture.
It goes without saying, Chicago is  one city worth seeing, and this Stanley Cup couldn't happen to a nicer city! (I just wish it happened to NEW YORK!)

Congratulations, Hawks! You're my kind of team in my kind of town! (Enjoy it while you can, 'cause next year, the Cup is returning to that OTHER town Sinatra made famous, I refer, of course, to NEW YORK, NEW YORK,NEW YORK!)

Again,congrats Hawks, and a special shout-out to WLS-FM, True Oldies 94.7! (May you never run out of Chi-Lites or Chicago (the group) classics!)

Bye, Buckaroos!
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment